Friday, May 13, 2016

June 7 1999 Monday

2:30 p.m.
Devin and Brandon, Glen and I left Hays this morning at 8:00 a.m. bound for Los Angeles! The motor home is packed full and our Chrysler Cirrus is hitched behind. We left Adrienne home with Mac, both asleep again by now, so they could house-sit. The motor home has great sleeping arrangements and Devin is trying out the back bedroom. While Brandon is napping on the couch. We're driving sixty miles per hour but it feels like we're creeping! It is a gorgeous day, sunny, warm and calm (so far, but this is Kansas!) We are traveling west on Interstate 70 to Denver--will take I-70 all the way to Utah then pick-up I-15. Filled gas at Limon 12:30.
We arrive in Denver approximately 2:00 p.m. CST and climb laboriously thru the Rockies  around 2:30. We are one of the slowest vehicles on the road as we ascend the Mt. D & B are resting as Glen and I enjoy the view.
Lunch was cold turkey on onion buns w/ buffalo style chips (buffalo meaning spicy!)
So far the funniest thing to happen was our car alarm system somehow went off as we entered the Eisenhower tunnel. Devin finally got it to shut off just as we were about to exit!

6:00 p.m.
The next excitement today was actually very scary...I was trying to nap at the back of the motor home when I as startled by a loud pop and rattle-rattle. The tow Dollie for the car blew a tire and we had to limp into a little stop west of New Castle, Co called Silt. Glen and Brandon got the car off the Dollie ok, then we proceeded into town to look for a new tire. That's where this story ends so far. G & B aren't back yet, we've been here about 30 minutes.

7:05
Got the tire fixed in Rifle for $50--back on the road again.

8:30
Arrived in Grand Junction to fill gas and eat at A & W. The food service people complained about our "big-ass order" ( not my words). On the road again and out of Colorado into Utah at 9:00 p.m. So far Glen has driven the entire time. Glenwood Canyon was awesome but far western Co and eastern Utah look pretty desolate! Sign on highway...EAGLES ON HIGHWAY

2:00 a.m.
Stopped in Beaver, UT for a couple hours rest...Glen nor I actually slept! At 4:00 a.m. we're gassed up and on our way to Las Vegas!

3 comments:

  1. This is so fun to read! I was so caught up in my own life I probably didn't even ask about your trip ever. And did we even have cell phones to communicate??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how much of this I forgot! Was I asleep the whole time? Or just too excited about getting to California?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you were keeping a journal on this trip!

    ReplyDelete