Monday, May 23, 2016

June 11, 1999 Friday

Leaving Los Angeles about 11:00 a.m. Kansas time, so much left to see, but ready for the trip home, too. Missing Adrienne and wishing she could have been with us! We travel north on I-15, same as before, only we veer off for the Hoover Dam Highway. It was bumper to bumper traveling miles before the Dam and miles after, but Hoover is impressive! Even though I would have liked to look, longer, I'm excited about seeing the Grand Canyon. So after Hoover Dam, we headed to Kingman, Arizona, shopped for sandwich fixens and had a fun picnic off Highway 40. That evening we stopped in a little town called Williams, Az. whose main street had once been part of historic route 66.The townspeople were having a festival, so we enjoyed live music, sidewalk cafes with partiers and dancing as well as horse and buggy rides. We passed up $1.12 gal gas in Kingman to pay $1.31 in Williams.
We arrived at the Grand Canyon around 10:30 p.m. and camped in the Grand Canyon RV Park for $23. Everyone was tired but we took a walk around the grounds before settling down to read before retiring. Tomorrow we explore the Canyon.




3 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't remember anything about a street festival in Williams! In a way, I'm really glad we have social media and stuff now, because even if we're not keeping a journal like you did, it's easier to look back and remember things. I'm so glad you're sharing these memories with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the street festival. I remember the guy playing guitar with a midi backing track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't I go on this trip!?

    ReplyDelete